[WikiEN-l] Thoughts from a relative newbie

Sue Anne Reed sreed1234 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 09:31:11 UTC 2006

Somehow I missed hearing about wikipedia up until a couple of months
ago. I think I had seen it pop up on google searches, but I didn't
really explore it until after I heard Jimbo either NPR or C-Span or
maybe both. I started off editing by finding a broken link on a Survivor
page and have continued editing heavily on Olympics pages and reality
TV. As time has gone by, I have read a bunch on the RfA, AfD, etc.

While I'm a newbie here on WP, I've been online since 1994 (ah, the days
of lynx). A lot of what I see going on here is similar to what I've seen
elsewhere, especially as the popularity has shot up. I'm sure there are
people that can remember when there were 800 editors and now there are
800 admins.

It's interesting, especially with this most recent "wheel warring" how
my views on userboxes has changed. At first, I thought they were just
silly. Then, I added a few to my page. Right around this time was the
issue of Kelly Martin deleting the userboxes and then came Jimbo's
statement. Up until a couple of days ago, I held the opinion that
someone else mentioned where user pages are like cubicle walls at work
and people should be allowed to decorate them as they want, but that
really isn't my opinion anymore. To me, setting up a system where some
userboxes are okay and some are not is always going to create a turf war
on where is the line. If user boxes are allowed, there is going to have
to be a clear line that says, language user boxes are okay but these
types of user boxes are not okay.

On the pedophilia issue ... I find pedophiles disgusting, but even if
someone self-identifies as a pedophile, they are not breaking the law
with that admission. If there is evidence that they are doing something,
like trying to get in contact with children via WP, than there has to be
some sort of process to take care of that. I mean, there is a fairly
balanced article on NAMBLA on WP. This userbox issue over the weekend
was the final thing that fully swayed my thinking on userboxes and if
there isn't some sort of guideline, these sorts of things will happen
again.

Sue Anne
sreed1234