[WikiEN-l] Re: Database locking

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:53:20 UTC 2006

"Chris Jenkinson" <chris at starglade.org> wrote in
message news:43E50127.4090702 at starglade.org...
> The Cunctator wrote:
>> Can you explain what you mean by "database lock"? Or point me to a
>> reference? I'm happy to RTFM.
>
> Basically where an admin does something which means that everything else
> gets put on hold until the "something" is completed. For example, deleting
> a page with a large history (such as when Ed Poor deleted AFD).

IIRC this also happened when SnowSpinner "deprecated" {{if}} by replacing
the functional (but horrible, don't get the idea I fail to agree with that
:-) code with a notice saying that this template had been deprecated and
should be replaced.

I recall reports that it took about 15 minutes to recover, but I can't
remember whether this was for the DB lock, or for all uses to be replaced. I
do know it was surprisingly fast, even for those of us who had been
expressing scepticism that any one template could hold the DB to ransom :-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]