[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Feb 3 19:05:45 UTC 2006

The Cunctator wrote:

>Wikipedia's still great, I love it, but really. The Wikipedia Counter
>Vandalism Unit?

Do you even look at RC, and not just work on one or two articles?
Vandalism is coming in the top, sides, bottom, front, and back, and
it's sucking up editor time that should be spent on actual content.
It's not just the popular GWB or the less-obvious-but-still-popular
"poop deck" that are the targets; there are hundreds of vandals
bashing on completely random pages, and inserting subtle errors as
well as obvious ones. As I mentioned on this mailing list not long
ago, a vandal erased a random chunk of an article while I wasn't
looking, the fair-use images in that part were declared orphans
and then deleted, all before I got back from vacation (good thing I
had my own backups).

If you have a solution that's not based on wishful thinking,
convince us that it's workable; in the meantime, please stop
throwing rocks at the people who are trying to keep this place
from turning into a graffiti-covered restroom.

Stan