[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:29:47 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wikipedia's still great, I love it, but really. The Wikipedia Counter
> Vandalism Unit?
>
> Let's just strap on the jackboots and start humming Beethoven's 5th.
>
> Silly, silly me, thinking the Wikipedia Militia was bad. They've even
> got their own freaking logo! Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a gross
> copyright vio.

Sure but we tend not to worry about that as long as it stays within
wikimedia projects. Otherwise there are rather a lot of othr images
that need to go.

> "Semi-protection" is also something that bothers me no end. As does
> the concept of needing to "semi-protect" talk pages.
>
> Wikipedia doesn't need protection. It needs participation. It's not a
> piece of china, folks.

Ummm are you going to sit there refreshing your talk page once a
second to catch all the vandalism at GWB?

> Neither is it some kind of dystopian arcology that needs paramilitary
> posses threatening people around every corner.
>
> <crazy old guy rant>There's TOO MUCH PROCESS going on in articles
> these days. Too many damn boxes!</rant>

[[WP:CVU]] are hadly process heavy. More and better vandles require
better tactics to deal with them. Nothing stopping you doing RC patrol
the old fashioned way.

--
geni