[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Dec 15 20:50:48 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
>

>>Given the number of people who don't understand or don't care that what
>>happens on Wikipedia can have real-world implications, a suitable degree
>>of "HERE BE DRAGONS" /is/ needed.
>>

>So I agree with you about that... to a degree.
>
>The problem is that far too often, when something is tagged WP:OFFICE it
>just sits there, for months, with everyone scared to do anything.  This
>is the opposite of what is intended.

That's what I am unclear on (and I imagine some others are too).  My
original understanding of WP:OFFICE was that it was a quick-fix
lockdown: while the Foundation is trying to sort out an imminent
problem, the page gets stubbed or blanked and has a WP:OFFICE banner on
it, giving the Foundation a bit of temporary breathing room to do the
sorting out.

But it seems that's not what it's *actually* being used for, since the
banner sometimes stays for months and there doesn't seem to be any of
that "sorting out" activity going on in the meantime.  So what is
actually intended?  That the article be rewritten cautiously from
scratch?  How long does the WP:OFFICE banner (and protection) stay on in
that case?  Basically I'm unsure what, as a normal editor, I should do
with regards to such pages.  My original understanding was that I should
just leave the page alone for a few days, pending someone figuring out
the situation and re-opening editing from a new starting point.  But
maybe that's not the process?

-Mark