[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:26:28 UTC 2006

> On 12/5/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Public buildings is a clear case, but I think the main problem lies with
> > pictures of people.
> > Unless you want to commit a felony and stalk them, it's pretty much
> > impossible to get non-fair use images for small time actors who don't visit
> > premieres or award ceremonies.
>
> The dozens of celbs (major and minor) uploaded to commons by user
> Towpilot serves as a fine counter example.
> (http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=upload&user=Towpilot&page=
> )

Indeed, Towpilot is an example of exactly the sort of person we should
be reaching out to - professional or semiprofessional freelance
photographers, with personal image archives, who're willing to release
some of that material under a free license.

(I wish my grandfather's archives hadn't burned in the seventies...
almost a century's worth of professional photographic negatives.
*sigh*)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk