[WikiEN-l] overzealous image deletion?

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 5 20:40:59 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>> 1. [[Template:Replaceable fair use]] says, "If this image is
>> determined to be replaceable within one week from <today>,
>> the image may be deleted by any administrator.  Do not remove
>> this tag."  This leaves me wondering what is supposed to happen
>> if, after a week, the image is not determined to be replaceable.
>>

> The administrator dealing with the deletion reads the reasons why it
> is not replaceable and removes the tag.

This actually happened to me.  Rather than discuss the issue, the person
who had applied the tag reapplied the tag with the edit summary "what
part of do not remove this tag do you not understand".  I pointed out I
was an admin removing it because I didn't agree that it met the
criteria, as I noted in my removal edit summary, and that they were
welcome to list it at IFD.  I was then told that I should list it there
because I removed the tag.  At this point another admin speedied it
because it didn't fit his fair use criteria, namely that book covers
aren't fair use in articles on books unless they are first edition
covers or something, and I moved onto something more productive.