[WikiEN-l] Policy across different languages

ScottL scott at mu.org
Wed Aug 30 04:36:35 UTC 2006

Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
> I think Jimbo needs to step in and talk to some bigwigs at
> ru.wikipedia.org and sort this out. Maybe even wave his magic wand if
> need be (after all, he more than anyone else has been arguing for this
> for a long time). We cannot have an encyclopedia without a
> verifiability policy, it's just not possible in the long run.
>
> --Oskar

   I don't think the ones opposed are arguing that they want an
encyclopedia without verifiability.  Its more that they are arguing that
the other policies (No OR, NPOV etc) can be used to derive verifiability
without adding more rules, and giving people ammunition to wikilawyer.

   I suspect that this may be (in part) a (not unreasonable) reaction to
the extremes that some people have gone on en.wiki.  Have a look back at
the threads on here about the topic.  I think one of them was with the
subject "The sky is blue {{citation needed}}" (with at least one witty
post on the thread pointing out that the sky was in fact not blue).

SKL