[WikiEN-l] OTRS for wikien

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sat Aug 26 19:44:45 UTC 2006

On 8/26/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't really know what that format would be. A forum? A wiki-style
> page (which there are plenty of on wikipedia)? A newsgroup (which is
> essentially the same thing as a mailinglist, see
> news://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.english )?
> If you want real discussion, you can't try to limit what somebody is
> saying, and if you have as many members as wikiEN has, there are going
> to be a lot of posts and not always easy to follow the discussion.
> Threads and forks and subject renamings and funny posts are going to
> occur. The only way to limit it is to drastically cut down on the
> number of members ("Everyone with less than 2000 edits must DIE!!!"),
> and that's not an option that any of us wants.
>
> Personally, I think the mailinglist/newsgroup (NNTP) way is by far the
> greatest way of conversing on the internet. Although, for shorter
> discussion that may take longer time (ie talkpages), the wiki-way is
> pretty awesome.

Since we're on the google thread already, google groups is kinda a
newsgroup/mailing list hybrid. I haven't used it extensively, but it
might be something to look at. It's not as open as what we're using
now though, so there are some drawbacks. It also looks like it does
push you to the webpage more than being email-only, which is probably
unacceptable for many people.