[WikiEN-l] on new article creation

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 21:24:24 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Seriously, though, I'm still looking for a response on my request for
> details when you said "analysis has been done, results will be
> published" regarding the initial disabling of anon page creation. Who
> did the analysis? Or did you answer in a different thread that I haven't
> been reading? I know I'm being a hardass about this, but so far this has
> been the only lead I'm aware of indicating that any such analysis might
> actually be taking place.

I'd lost that thread, which is why I hadn't replied.

It's not really my place to talk about papers being written by others,
which is why I hadn't answered in more detail.

You're not being a hardass... I'm just not the right person to ask,
the only research I've done is informal subjective measurements (which
I posted about months ago), I've also posted the link to the new
articles over time which was a part of that informal research.

[[NBER]] presented at Wikimania about their statistical research into
Wikipedia editing, and I have worked with them some to help with
collecting data for their work. One of the researchers working on the
subject is currently off the net, but I'll ping the other person (Eric
Garrison) and find out what the status of his research is...

I found it amusing that everyone in the thread has assumed that I'm
arguing against turning back on anon page creation, because that is
certantly not my position.  I've only argued that we shouldn't act
without evidence when evidence is so easy to obtain.

If you don't believe me that people are working on this, feel free to
do your own research it's not like you need anyone's permission. If
you need help getting data in a convenient form and can clearly
articulate what data you need, please contact me... I'll be glad to
help.