[WikiEN-l] Licence request

Stephen Streater sbstreater at mac.com
Fri Aug 25 08:49:28 UTC 2006

Hi!

Someone [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk%
3AJimbo_Wales&diff=71723381&oldid=71704559 suggested] I post this
here. The original in on Jimbo Wales' talk page.

I am looking into licensing some Wiki IPR. Who should I talk to?
[[User:Stephen B Streater|Stephen B Streater]] 19:46, 24 August 2006
(UTC)
: I've been asked to be a bit more specific. My ideas often sound
controversial at first, so I'd appreciate it if you could work with
me on this one.
: So, to be more specific, I run an award winning service which
allows web-based editing and publishing of video, often uploaded over
the air from camera phones such as the [[Nokia N93]]. These can be
output in a variety of formats, and I would like to add a button
which will publish video directly in the free format supported by
Wikipedia, upload the videos directly from our servers to Wiki
Commons, and sort out all the licensing forms ready for signing off
by the user. Current publishing icons look like:
* a world (for web publishing / hosting with a built in Java player)
* a mobile phone (for mobile phone publishing / hosting)
* [[timecode]] (for [[EDL]]/[[XML]] text output for further editing
on other systems)
* [[iPod]] (for publishing/hosting video podcasts)
* MPEG (for MPEG 2 output)
* Ogg (for [[Ogg]] open video/audio formats - this is a new addition,
not reflected in the [[FORscene]] article yet as I've stopped editing
the article now following a suggestion at my RfA)

In order to add them to Wikipedia articles, Ogg videos currently have
to be downloaded over the web to a local computer, and then uploaded
manually to Wikipedia. This is significantly more work than users
have come to expect from the other formats, and not necessarily
possible on locked down / firewalled computers such as at work or in
a library or cybercafé. I would like to add a new publishing option
which automatically uploads Ogg videos to Wikipedia. You can see a
couple of manually downloaded and uploaded videos made in this way
(shot on a mobile phone, and edited on the web) [http://
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bungy.ogg here] and [http://
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Medical.ogg here]. Given the
impoverished nature of video on Wikipedia (I couldn't find any other
videos uploaded this year), I feel this would help to the project by
encouraging editors to contribute their original video content under
the free licences here.

As this development would exclusively be used for publishing free
content to Wikipedia, I think it would be nice to use the Wikipedia
logo for this button. What do you think about this idea?
[[User:Stephen B Streater|Stephen B Streater]] 22:14, 24 August 2006
(UTC)

:See the wikitech-l thread starting at [http://mail.wikipedia.org/
pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-August/038163.html]. There's a discussion
there about allowing "upload" directly from another server. --
[[User:CesarB|cesarb]] 22:36, 24 August 2006 (UTC)

:: Thanks - an interesting thread. Luckily technical issues can be
solved :-) The largest video I've uploaded so far is 10MB, though
I've got some harder/longer ones to add. I've just set a longer one
off to test it. Coincidentally, people don't seem to watch long
videos on the web, so encouraging people to edit their material more
concisely may not be a bad thing. I'm new to Ogg, so haven't got a
feel for file sizes yet, but when I've converted a dozen or so
videos, I'll know how things compare with my usual web format.
[[User:Stephen B Streater|Stephen B Streater]] 23:20, 24 August 2006
(UTC)

::: The biggest video I've made so far is 47.9MB  in Ogg. Is the
upload limit 20MB or 100MB? [http://pro.forscene.net/ss1/published/
gIsa4-1152810274.can/ Here] is the current external Java streamed
version so you can see it now (size and frame rate adapt to your
connection speed). [[User:Stephen B Streater|Stephen B Streater]]
08:31, 25 August 2006 (UTC)

That is specific enough to get the responses you need. I recommed you
also post the above details to http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/
wikien-l/ and http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/ as it
seems to be a very interesting idea and worthy of consideration.
[[User:WAS 4.250|WAS 4.250]] 01:52, 25 August 2006 (UTC)

Stephen