[WikiEN-l] [[New anti-Semitism]] and violations of NPOV re: top image

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 21:38:24 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly. Nor do I care. Nor should those opinions be included to taint
> the caption with OR.

As you pointed out, it's clear that the intention of this poster is
arguable... if somewhat obvious to most.  The mere inclusion of it on
the article without attribution to the claim of it's meaning is
orignal research.

> > You are making a value judgement about the image by putting it on the article.
>
> As Jkelly has explained, we don't need a secondary source claiming
> that a picture of a tree is a picture of tree before we can insert it
> in an article.

and we would likely not need a secondary source to place this image on
an article about protest posters.

A picture of a tree (primary source material) on an article about
trees would usually be straight forward enough to remain undisputed
and not require a secondary source.

> > > The article discusses at
> > > length the debate over whether some (or all) anti-Zionism is
> > > anti-Semitism - indeed, to a degree, that is what the whole article is
> > > about.
> >
> > And hopefully the claims in the article are sourced and are not
> > original research.
>
> Of course they are, with literally hundreds of high quality footnotes.
> Again, why would you comment about something that you had not actually
> looked into?

I had by that point, and I didn't claim there was a problem.  My point
was that we've cited the text to avoid it being orignal research. The
image is no different.

> But we *haven't* described the image as anti-Semitic, so how can it
> possibly be "Original research"? It is Netscott who keeps insisting it
> must be described as anti-Semitic,  I'm arguing against that!
> What "claim" are you talking about? We make no claim that the picture
> is anti-Semitic.

Don't insult our intelligence Jay.
We have put the image at the very top of an article titled [[New
anti-Semitism]].
If we aren't describing the image as an example of anti-semitism then
it should be removed.