[WikiEN-l] Are TV screencaps reputable sources?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 14 07:15:28 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> That was me, and it's not a red herring. Every time we claim "fair use"
> on an image, it is because the image is not Free; that means, we are
> infringing someone's copyright.

I'm no lawyer but I think this is wrong. If our use of a copyrighted
item is done under circumstances that meet the requirements of valid
fair use, then we are _not_ infringing on that copyright. Fair use gives
us the legal ability to use that copyrighted item in that manner.

There are many situations that lie in between "Free" and "copyright
infringement," it's not either/or.