[WikiEN-l] Are TV screencaps reputable sources?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 05:52:36 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> jayjg wrote:

>>> So would sample screen captures from episode of the two programs.  You
>>> would be able to see the difference without explanation.  This doesn't
>>> explain your gratuitous red herring about copyright infringement.
>>>

>> Copyright infringement? I don't know what you're talking about, I
>> never mentioned copyright infringement.
>>
> See (****) above.  If that was somebody else, I apologize for any
> implicitly wrong attribution.

<snip>

That was me, and it's not a red herring. Every time we claim "fair use"
on an image, it is because the image is not Free; that means, we are
infringing someone's copyright. "Fair use" is something which exists
under US law (presumably several others, but it's US law that we rely
on) which we use to justify that infringement; I was making the point
that with things like screenshots, we have to be careful that our claims
are in fact fair and valid.