[WikiEN-l] Are TV screencaps reputable sources?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 11:23:23 UTC 2006

Joe Anderson wrote:
> Cool Cat recently created an article called Starfleet
> Uniforms<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet_Uniforms>,
> and it was nominated for deletion as cruft and OR.
>
> The screencaps/promo photos in the article, IMO, acted as a reputable
> source. I mean, how else (canonically) are you going to know about the
> uniform switch between TOS and TNG? Using a book is not canonical, and
> therefore is surely not [[WP:V]].

There are such things as Star Trek encyclopediae, which report canon and
real life (and probably not fanfic/other non-canon).

While the TV shows are canonical (as are the movies (except where
continuity fails, cf. /Enterprise/)), using a screencap is close to
original research and on dangerous ground wrt. using "fair use" as an
excuse for copyright infringement.

> As for fancruft, how is an article about Starfleet uniforms fancruft. In
> some people's opinion, any article to do with any fictional is fancruft. But
> is the article on Jean-Luc Picard fancruft? I think not.

:)