[WikiEN-l] Technical solution to bad fair use

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 13:59:22 UTC 2006

> I showed that in most cases the album cover art is not mentioned in
> the text. It is quite posible to buy an album without knowing what it
> looks like.

That's true, and I agree that most of them are really NOT strictly
necessary from an informational point of view. However I think things
like album covers are one of our safest categories from a legal point
of view, both for us and for re-users, since they are not competing
with any market and are most likely to be considered transformative.

All of the "media covers" we have are pretty safe in my mind; I wish
people would spend more time on the more ambiguous categories of fair
use, the ones with real potential for difficulties (i.e. the thousands
of unattributed celebrity photographs and things labeled as "publicity
photos", half of which are scans from magazines and the like).

FF