[WikiEN-l] Re: For anyone who thought NPOV wasn't all that hard

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 17:57:43 UTC 2005

>From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

>Read this and work out how you would bridge this gap.
>
>    http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-05/new-age.html
>
>If you have a quick formula that works, good. But how would you get
>someone to think that formula is a good idea and *want* to apply it?

Liberal arts education?

I got involved in an article that started out as listcruft--the list of the
books used in the St. John's College "Great Books" curriculum--and I got
drawn in. I've sorta gotten interested in St. John's and in Stringfellow Barr
and Scott Buchanan, the people who created it.

One of the things that really struck me is how, during the 1930s through the
1950s, there was serious concern about the rise of "the dictatorships" in
Germany and Italy. There was constant discussion of "the democracies" vis-a-
vis "the dictatorships." The title of Sinclair Lewis's novel, "It Can't
Happen Here," expressed the common attitude in the U.S., while its content
expressed Lewis's belief that it darn well _could_ happen here if we weren't
careful.

I grew up thinking of "liberal arts" as a sort of gentleman's quasi-
recreational curriculum, something that Ivy Leaguers studied if they weren't
interested in anything real. But that's not at all how Barr and Buchanan saw
it.

They believed quite seriously that the liberal arts curriculum was essential
_in developing the spirit of free inquiry._ They thought that unless all
citizens were educated in how to think, democracies would not be stable and
would be subject to transformation into dictatorships. They didn't want to
limit it to colleges.

Incidentally they were just as concerned about English majors not knowing
physics as vice versa.

I have no idea whether they were right. Their achievements certainly fell
very short of their ambitions. Certainly, the trends they feared have
progressed. I think the majority of Americans now regard college as an
activity that should be directly career-directed and that the status of the
liberal-arts curriculum has declined.

I'm not sure to what extent educators feel tasked with the job of teaching
critical thinking. Certainly in the public schools there has always been some
ambiguity about whether their task is to teach critical thinking or whether
it is to teach docility and obedience to authority....

I didn't get a liberal arts education, and I have a certain amount of
inquiring skepticism about its value, but... just a (tangential) thought.