[WikiEN-l] Re: Link formatting suggestion

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sun Oct 23 15:46:53 UTC 2005

> Is anyone going to reply to the ACTUAL SUGGESTION?

Oh, the actual suggestion. I didn't want to wade into a bunch of
debate about CSS and Javascript and browser compatibility... I assume
the "actual suggestion" is this:

"Imagine the article is just text, no links. As you finish reading
the section you were looking for, you want to know if there is any
further information, so you move your mouse into the text and all
links go blue and underlined."

I love the idea. I perceive links as emphasis, and I find them very
distracting. Particularly since most Wikipedia pages are way, way,
way overlinked, to my taste.

Assuming its feasible (for the wide range of considerations implied
by "feasible") I'd love to see it happen.

If this were available as a user option, I'd _certainly_ select it.

And I'd vote in favor of making it the default setting.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/