[WikiEN-l] Re: The whole point of wikipedia

Martin Richards Martin at velocitymanager.com
Thu Oct 20 10:00:53 UTC 2005

From: "Tony Sidaway"

> I'm suggesting that it's not around in significant amounts.   I find
> some now and again.   I find instances of poor quality writing and bad
> organization more often.  A few articles are prone to link-spamming,
> others get POV-pushing.  Compared to that, old vandalism is rather
> rare.

The kind of old vandalims that I find particularly disturbing is stuff like
this
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Robert_Bunsen&diff=23686756&oldid=23532482
which occurred on september 21, then was edited in by 2 more editors, until
I reverted it on October 5th. The reason I find it particularly disturbing
is that the anon only ever made that single destructive edit, which was not
only not noticed but actually totally ignored by the next 2 editors, and I
only noticed it because I thought it was odd we had such a crap article on
an important person. If he had been less important I imagine no one would
ever have noticed.

It is stuff like this that really makes me think there must be a better way
than having a policy of "Anyone can edit".

Martin