[WikiEN-l] Doomsday or Beebday?

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 20 09:30:48 UTC 2005

Keith Old wrote

> I had a look at Alexa's list of English language sites see [
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=lang&lang=en] The English
version of Wikipedia is not listed in the top 100 whereas the BBC is at
number 13 - we should compare like with like. The site that is ranked so
high is wikipedia.org <http://wikipedia.org> which is ranked no 42 see [
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=global&lang=none] . We are
listed Number 2 on reference after My Yahoo see [
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?catid=10&ts_mode=subject&lang=none].
I would be interested in finding out how My Yahoo! is classified as a
reference site.
  Having said this, I am bullish on Wikipedia too.

Indeed, Alexa seems to have decided that WP as a whole is not an
English-language site.  But I was doing a comparative traffic search there,
and one can see reasonably clear trends to extrapolate.  The BBC site is one
I have thought of as a target for a while.

Charles