[WikiEN-l] Creationism is not horse-shit, it's pseudo-science

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jul 21 19:41:12 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

><POV>
>Now, a big part of the irritant in this discussion is that creationism
>is, as a matter of simple ordinary fact, pseudo-science or worse.
>Readers deserve to know, and quickly and simply, that treating
>creationist theories as if they were somehow scientific is completely
>and utterly unacceptable in scientific circles.  The category does that
>concisely and correctly.
></POV>

I'm not sure why that's necessary though.  No reader who reads
[[creationism]] will come away with the idea that it is accepted in
scientific circles---the article itself does a good job of finessing the
issue.  The category is sort of a blunt object that summarizes one
particular view of the issue (that of nearly all scientists) without
explanation or nuance.  This is fine when no nuance is necessary and
pretty much all viewpoints agree on the categorization ([[United States
Democratic Party]] can go into [[Category:United States political
parties]] without objection), but IMO generally inappropriate when a
dispute exists between different viewpoints.

In any case, "pseudoscience" has more of a judgment feel than a merely
informational feel.  Even common or virtually-unanimous judgments aren't
acceptable---we don't put [[Charles Manson]] and [[Adolf Hitler]] into
[[Category:Evil people]].

-Mark