[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Nathan J. Yoder njyoder at energon.org
Mon Jul 4 19:11:18 UTC 2005

> Have you followed the discussion on the permission
> for the Z-machine picture? By all means, go ahead
> and ask them to release it under CC-BY.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Zmachine.jpg
>
> Currently the image information page has a license
> which says:
>
> "encyclopedia articles are fine. We only require a
> credit in the form, 'Courtesy, Sandia National Laboratories,'"
>
> In my opinion there's nothing wrong with Wikipedia
> using that image even if non-encyclopec down-stream
> users can't. I'm sure they would allow a Wikibook
> too if you ask them. If you can get them to release
> it under CC-BY that would of course be great. And
> if you can get a PD image of a z-machine which is
> as good as this one I salute you.

Why don't you just ask them then?  Since they said they only require
that credit, you could ask if they mean that for ANYONE using that
image.  If they say anyone can use that image as long as they give
that credit, then that's their "open content" license and should be
allowed on Wikipedia.  Since the image is of a very specific thing
only existing at their labs, people would have to credit anyway.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to why it's not public domain since SNL is
a government agency.  Since it appears that SNL itself has control
over the copyright (as opposed to the photographer who took the
picture), shouldn't it be that way?  I was under the impression that
any works created by U.S. government employees were PD and I'd guess
that if the "contractor"/photographer transfered rights over that it
would be effectively the same.

Nathan J. Yoder
http://www.gummibears.nu/
http://www.gummibears.nu/files/njyoder_pgp.key