[WikiEN-l] Copyright status of press releases

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 30 09:02:26 UTC 2005

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>If you can approach the major press release bureaus and persuade them
>to release all their work, or some portion of it, under a free
>license, or if you can secure a direct release from individual
>companies who would like to do the same, then by all means we can
>surely publish these on wikisource.

My reaction as a Wikisource editor would be to ask a contributor to
substantiate his right to add the press release.  If he fails to do
anything about it within a reasonable time, it gets deleted.  Only the
contributor knows where he found the material, so the burden is on him
to establish the copyright status when it's questioned.

As much as I believe that there exist circumstances where we can and
should push the boundaries of copyright law, someone's ignorance of
copyright law is NOT one of them.

Ec