[WikiEN-l] Re: Illegitimate block.

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Sat Jan 29 15:26:41 UTC 2005

Bryan Derksen stated for the record:

> At 06:26 PM 1/28/2005 -0800, Robert Brookes wrote:

>> "You used the phrase "Gestapo-like" to illustrate
>> heavy-handed admins. That was entirely appropiate.
>

> But this is exactly what I was disagreeing with; the comparison of the
> Gestapo to heavy-handed admins is emphatically not appropriate. Maybe
> when the heavy-handed admins are rounding up editors and killing them en
> masse you might have basis for it, but right now it's _just a website_.
> If an admin goes mad with power and bans you, it just means you've got
> some spare time in your day to browse webcomics or whatever. Get some
> perspective.

Give it up, Bryan.  It is clear that Robert is unable to tell the
difference between a slight irritation and mass murder.  A person who
cannot distinguish between the tales he has heard of a power-mad gang of
thugs deliberately set loose to terrorize a population and the duly
appointed agents of a community whom he sees properly enforcing widely
accepted and lenient laws is completely lacking the facility of
discrimination.  His heroic proclamation

	I have perspective. I try to live up to the promise
	that it must never happen again. I believe that
	whenever we see evidence of the beast rising out of
	the human breast we must stand up and be counted ...
	even if we get knocked down in the process. I am
	prepare to stand and be counted ... are you?

further demonstrates his astounding lack of perspective -- clearly he
thinks he's defending nothing less than Civilization itself against the
beastly hordes he expects will be kicking down his door at any moment --
beastly hordes of murderous Wikipedia admins.  This is a person who
needs more help than can be provided over a mailing list.

Another possibility exists, of course, which also should be handled by
dropping the argument.

== See also ==
* [[Don't feed the trolls]]
* [[Godwin's Law]]

--
  Sean Barrett     | I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
  sean at epoptic.com |