[WikiEN-l] Re: The Mediation Committee

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 12:51:19 UTC 2005

I am glad there is a candidate to follow-up.

Since there was no opposition to you as a candidate, I added you to the
mediator list.

I opened a paragraph for the chair election and listed you as a candidate.

I advertised this on the pump, and you advertised yourself here, so I
guess it is enough.

If there is no serious opposition or serious other candidates, just
consider yourself the chair of the MC and let's move ahead :-)

-------

As for your question : is there another place to discuss all this ?
The answer is no.

After the creation of the MC last year, most of the discussion was done
by email between members. A lot was said, but since it was private,
there is no way for you to find it back. Well, as far as I remember, I
wrote a lot on the topic during two months, and in front of the lack of

Later, a board website was set. I copied there a lot of the discussions
we hold privately or I tried to summarize. It took me a lot of time as
well to do this. Later the board was closed and all discussions were
thus lost.

If you ask me my opinion on this, several months later, I still have not
digested this at all. I think the mediation committee was about half of
my daily activity on Wikipedia for about a full trimester. Most was
private since mediation is a private activity. The part public has been
deleted. The results of mediation done through the mediation committee
were frankly limited. (however, this does not diminish the satisfaction
of solving daily crisis when made aware of).
All this is still a bit in my throat and my activity as a part of the
mediation committee is the role which left me sour taste in my mouth for
  several other reasons that the ones mentionned above as well.

Why do I say this ?

Well, just for you to be aware that mediator is a tough activity.
Essentially unrecognised one. Lonely. If there is any sign to support
what I say, it is enough to see the level of implication of each
mediator, as well as resignations, and very likely the number of
mediators who left for the AC.

I do not say it is hopeless, far from it, because I *highly believe* in
mediation, much more than strict arbitration, and I really hope you help
it. I only wish that as a chair, you also help building up a team.

Note that my own experience is not a criticism of previous chairs, as I
was mostly active before we had any chair at all.

------

Note that private mails are still sent now and then. And the big mess is
that we have to put people names in the cc, and likely forget names or
add names that should not be there. I *highly* suggest you create a
mediation-l at wikimedia.org (or similar) either public list, or just a
list of members (redirect to their address), so that one writes to the
right people. If you do so, just tell the developer you ask the mail
address that it is okay with me to create such a thing :-) (in case they
ask)

You have my full support in any cases

Anthere

-------