[WikiEN-l] The Nature of a Wiki, was agenda promotion, was:Re: Original Research versus Point of View

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Fri Jan 21 19:40:48 UTC 2005

>Wikipedia can be considered an exercise in participatory democracy engaged
>in the task of creating an encyclopedia. Its purpose is not to refine and
>perfect particatory demococracy, but wiki software is premised on wide and
>more or less equal participation by the publics.
>
>One may change that premise, but one should know that is what you are
>discussing doing.
>
>Fred

Very well-said, Fred.  I am among many who believe that the participatory
element is essential to Wikipedia.  I don't mean to be dismissive of Robert
Dodier's opinionl, but if he thinks (his view of) encyclopedic quality
should trump the open editing policy, then I suggest he consider applying
for a job at Encyclopedia Britannica.

As you all know I advocate a committee that can mediate especially
contentious and long-lasting disputes over content, which I admit means
creating a little more bureaucracy and control.  But I believe very
strongly that if this were ever instituted, it should only be a matter of
last resort and a means of resolving a dispute -- and should never be given
daily or more lasting control over any page.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701