[WikiEN-l] The 3RR policy should not always be blindly followed

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 18 08:12:52 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote

>However,
> most of the original research inserted in these articles is more on the
> order of "George Bush knew there were no weapons of mass destruction in
> Iraq, but he lied to the American public and invaded anyway, in order to
> finish the job his father started, and to restore his family honor".

When something is already unverifiable, highly partisan POV, I wonder why it
needs to be labelled 'original research' as well.  That's not what OR was
initially about, really, i.e. personal speculations/crank theories.  The
cited instance is more naturally treated just as POV; it can be 'neutered'
by a specific citation of someone writing the thought (which we've all read
100 times) somewhere.

In any case, concentrating on contentious politics/contemporary history in
the making is not necessarily going to produce a good set of general
encyclopedia-building principles. NPOV rules; otherwise one is back to
source-criticism and imputing motives.

Charles