[WikiEN-l] Re: minor issue, but still a npov warning

csherlock at ljh.com.au csherlock at ljh.com.au
Mon Jan 17 06:04:18 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

> Some already ponctually corrected a couple of things.
> But generally, they do not believe in Wikipedia neutrality though they
> see the efforts to try to be neutral.
> You may not expect french people who really write a bad english to go
> correct all what is biaised in the english wikipedia.
>
> This is a good question : why did not they fix it ?
>
> It took me three months to dare edit the english wikipedia after I met
> it. I feared criticism of my english like hell; And still fear it very
> much, as there are regularly unpleasant comments made about it.
> Recently, I had to block 2 times an editor who was being extremely rude
> with non english people on meta. A place where international people ARE
> welcome. When editors rudely handle non english in a place such as meta,
> you might guess how nice these editors can be on the english wikipedia
> itself.
>
> Amongst french people, I am generally considered quite good in english.
> Still, editing in good english is difficult for me and takes a lot of
> time. Arguments which start on talk page and last dozens and dozens of
> screens put me off. It takes too much time to read it all and try to
> understand it all.
>
> Many french scientists read english, because nearly all science is in
> english, so of course, it is their main source of information. But most
> french scientists do not manage english well enough to become editors.
>
> It needs courage you may not realise. It needs efforts, and it needs to
> overcome the comment of some people who do not think we belong there.
>
> So, they look at the article, they may correct a typo, but do not go any
> further.

Anthere,

If you find people being rude to non-English people I think you need to
let an admin know so we can leave a message on their talk page warning
them not to make personal attacks. I have personally never seen this,
but if I did the used doing this would get a stern warning from me.

Ta bu shi da yu