[WikiEN-l] Re: Illegitimate block.

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Sat Jan 15 15:29:26 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight wrote:

> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> I fear admin consensus appears to be against you on this one, that you
>> do not in fact have some sort of ironclad right to four reverts in
>> 24h 1m,
>> and that admins will in fact apply the "is this person taking the piss?"
>> test.
>

> Last I checked, admins had no special authority to decide Wikipedia
> policy, and admin consensus was irrelivant next to community consensus.

While that may be true, the problem is that admins are forced to enforce
the letter instead of spirit of the law. Sure, some retarded admins may
go overboard, but the beauty of the system is that if someone is
wrongfully blocked, other admins can undo it. What happened to be bold
and the wiki system? Instead we straitjacket our admins with specific
laws, a haven for trolls. Trolls end up doing just enough to avoid a
ban. See [[Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Everyking]] to see just how
damaging the 3RR can be when someone (un)intentionally takes advantage
of it.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])