[WikiEN-l] Obscure Copyright

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 12 19:18:02 UTC 2005

Sean Barrett wrote:

> I have a document created by a sailor in the [[Kriegsmarine]] during
> [[World War II]].  Thus, the document is approximately 60 years old,
> but its author didn't die until 1982.  The document has no copyright
> notice associated with it and was never published until it was
> captured by the Allies after the war.  I can justify a claim to fair
> use for Wikipedia's purposes, but I'd like to determine what its
> copyright status really is.  Can anyone help me?

In the absence of more detail about the document I would say it's still
covered by copyright until the end of 2052.  But then I prefer a
conservative approach when facts are missing.  I presume that this a
German language document by a German citizen so German law should
apply.  Copyright notices were a uniquely US requirement.  The copyright
notice or the fact that the document was stolen by an allied soldier
should have no bearing on the matter.  The fair use claim is only
meningful if the document continues to be protected by copyright, but
ultimately you would have the burden of proof for such a claim.

Ec