[WikiEN-l] Re: External links and self-linking to my site (NSK)

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Jan 12 16:58:13 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 17:38, dpbsmith at verizon.net wrote:
> On the other hand, my perception is that he _is_ seeking to find ways in
> which he can simultaneously help Wikipedia _and also_ promote his site as a
> byproduct.

Yes, I can agree with this, and I think what I am doing is fair and useful to
the reader. And hey, your post was very insightful.

I considered the situation and found that Wikipedia needs an External Link
Proposal Procedure (ELPP).

Here is how ELPP could work:
- The person who wants to include an external link to his site on Wikipedia
will not be allowed to do that, but he should use the ELPP system. Let's name
this person "Link Provider".
- The first step of the ELPP process is: The Link Provider places the proposed
link on his user page.
- The second step: The Link Provider completes a form or writes to the mailing
list (it could even be a special mailing list) or on the village pump or on
the talk page of the affected article saying that he proposes the inclusion
of a link to his site. He gives his userpage.
- Admins and Wikipedians go to his userpage and check the link.
- The Link Provider also explains on his userpage why the link is informative
and where he likes it to be included (which Wikipedia article).
- Admins and Wikipedians vote and discuss whether to include the link
- If approved, the link will be inserted to the relevant article by an admin
or Wikipedian, but not by the Link Provider.

Allowing anybody to insert links in Wikipedia is like asking for spam. ELPP
solves this problem by creating a formal process for the submission of new
external links.

--
NSK
Visit my wiki at http://jnana.wikinerds.org