[WikiEN-l] Confirmations of permission

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 31 17:46:31 UTC 2005

Michael Turley wrote:

>>>I think as long as you remove the IP, the email address and other
>>>sensitive info, I doubt that anyone would object to the email being
>>>copied to the talk page would they?
>>>

>>No, I can't imagine they would -- but if this sensitive info is removed
>>then there's essentially no difference between an emailed authorisation
>>and a random anonymous editor on the talk page claiming to be the
>>author. Is my word that the confirmation was real enough?
>>

>If we don't already have one, we should establish a "permissions trustee"
>who would keep all such things confidential and in safe keeping, yet be able
>to verify that the permissions stated match the permissions actually on
>file.
>
>When such permissions are explicited granted to the Wikimedia Foundation,
>they should be forwarded to an officer of the foundation in any case. I
>don't know enough about the Wikimedia Foundation to tell you who that is (or
>as indicated above, whether such person exists at this time).

Having this information available to all admins would likely not be any
more secure than having it available.  Being sensitive to privacy issues
has never been a criterion for becoming an admin.  On the other hand
leaving this with one person could leave him overwhelmed once things
start working properly.  Putting this through a committee of stewards
and bureaucrats could make more practical sense.

Ec