[WikiEN-l] Confirmations of permission

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 16:56:54 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Nick Boalch <n.g.boalch at durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Theresa Knott wrote:
> >> What is the prevailing etiquette on what to do with positive responses
> >> to requests for confirmation of licensing permission?
> >
> > I think as long as you remove the IP, the email address and other
> > sensitive info, I doubt that anyone would object to the email being
> > copied to the talk page would they?
>
> No, I can't imagine they would -- but if this sensitive info is removed
> then there's essentially no difference between an emailed authorisation
> and a random anonymous editor on the talk page claiming to be the
> author. Is my word that the confirmation was real enough?
>
> Cheers,
>
> N.

If we don't already have one, we should establish a "permissions trustee"
who would keep all such things confidential and in safe keeping, yet be able
to verify that the permissions stated match the permissions actually on
file.

When such permissions are explicited granted to the Wikimedia Foundation,
they should be forwarded to an officer of the foundation in any case. I
don't know enough about the Wikimedia Foundation to tell you who that is (or
as indicated above, whether such person exists at this time).

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused