[WikiEN-l] Fictional articles?

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:48:38 UTC 2005

>From: Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>
>
>Hi all.
>
>I'm wanting to expand the [[Nihilartikel]] article, by discussing the
>occurence of nihilartikels - deliberately fictional articles - in open
>publications like Wikipedia. We mention a couple, which were articles
>about famous hoaxes themselves presented as real ([[Uqbar]] and [[San
>Serriffe]]) before being fixed. And, of course, there was [[Jamie
>Kane]] recently. Things like [[Battle of Blenau]] Does anyone remember
>any cases?
>
>(Myself, I found three fictional Aztec gods. First reference here June
>10, deleted mid August.)
>
>However, what I'm looking for are cases of purely false information,
>not particularly intended for humorous effect or linked to popular
>culture - which if memory serves do get caught and hauled onto VfD
>every now and again. This is a developing role of the nihilartikel -
>rather than being inserted "from high", they get added from below,
>almost as part of a [[breaching experiment]] ("let's see if this
>lasts")
>
>I do know we have people actively inserting false information into
>wikipedia. Not all of it is fiction presented as fact; some is fantasy
>presented as fact. But hard to discuss it without cases, without
>knowing how long these last "in the wild"...

I don't know if this matches your criteria, but here are several that were
inserted for humourous purposes:

[[Mahadrek]]
[[Creedmoor chassidim]]
[[Thoraziner Chassidism]]
[[Onan ben Drusoy]]

The first two lasted about a week, the third was supposed to be deleted but
was not, and lasted 3 months.  The last escaped detectrion and also lasted 3
months.  The articles were good/obscure enough that most people couldn't
tell if they were BJAODN or not.  The creator posted on this
http://www.hashkafah.com/index.php?showtopic=11560&st=0 message board,
stating that they were created to "to prove that Wikipedia has no
standards".

Jay.