[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Aug 27 21:24:50 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:
> He did not edit disruptively. Anything else he may have done happened off
> Wikipedia. Some participants in this discussion are of the opinion that no
> off site actions should be taken into account in the banning of Wikipedia
> users.

While I think almost everyone will agree that off site actions are
*different* from on-site actions, and should certainly not be treated in
the same way, I have so far found no persuasive argument that *no* off
site actions should be taken into account in the banning of Wikipedia users.

As an example, once upon a time a particularly demented and evil person
posted photos of my family (wife and little girl) with disgusting
insults on a website attacking Wikipedia.  He posted links to a
quicktime movie of my house, and made ominous suggestions about my home
address and his "followers".  I was out of town and frightened enough to
have Terry go and spend the night on the couch guarding the family.

That person is permanently banned from Wikipedia, period.  I don't think
anyone disputes the ethics of this.  (Fortunately, he was arrested on
felony charges in an unrelated matter, and as far as I know, he's in
prison now.)

I consider the Amelekite case to be in the same genre, although slightly
(but only slightly) less obvious.

--Jimbo