[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 70

Lisa Thurston lisathurston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:15:01 UTC 2005

I second your petition in the strongest way possible Haukur.

I have no interest whatsoever in User:Amalekite, but I have a problem
with him/her being banned. If the measure of the progress of a country
is how well the people on the fringes of society are treated then the
same goes for Wikipedia.

David said Wikipedia isn't an experiment in democracy, just an
encyclopaedia. But is WP just an encyclopaedia? Isn't it a very
special and unique encyclopaedia that is the first to try to span all
state borders and all languages by coming but to the cornerstone:
NPOV.  So perhaps not democracy, but I think Wikipedia is a social
experiment of some kind and not just a resource. WP is special because
of the actual manner in which we are building the resource. Let's not
ignore that.

Considering WP has potential to beat any other resource on issue of
**neutrality** let's not do anything to compromise this. Let's not ban
a user just because of his/her opinions! That's introducing bias
straightaway. Let's ban the user if and when he or she actually *does*
something wrong, not for having beliefs we don't like!! (If I write
something opinionated and not generally accepted on another site I
don't want it to affect my "user ban case" on Wikipedia!)

Again this is not about one particular user, it's about how we deal
with all cases like this. I don't care that User:Amalekite is
apparently a neo-nazi. This is just a label and is unhelpful. A user's
actions, ie. edits, are the important thing here.

Lisa