[WikiEN-l] Brittanica wants to know where the 2004 list came from

DF dragons_flight at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 00:43:03 UTC 2005

An IP poster at 216.146.93.139 has posted to
[[Wikipedia talk:2004 Encyclopedia topics]] and
[[Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic
articles]] wanting to know where Wikipedia got the
list of topics in the 2004 Encyclopedia Brittanica.

What makes this interesting is that 216.146.93.13
resolves to corp.eb.com, i.e. within the corporate
offices of Encyclopedia Brittanica.

I don't know the answer to the poster's query (and am
presently glad I don't), but I did post a note
identifying the poster's origin on both threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:2004_Encyclopedia_topics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Missing_encyclopedic_articles#source_of_lists.3F

I figure, given that this could be the start of a
bigger conflict, it would be useful to make the
community aware of this inquiry at a high level, so I
am posting here.

-DF