[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Aug 23 22:24:28 UTC 2005

slimvirgin at gmail.com wrote:

>It's not easy to do this all the while knowing that the editor (in
>this case) personally believes that his Jewish Wikipedian colleagues
>are sub-human.
>
>Look at the response to Amalekite's post here
>http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=22047&highlight=wikipedia
>
>"I think it's time for the white man to use a different strategy
>against these semitic jew mongrels, the days of talking are over, it
>is time to use physical force against the jewish population, and take
>our country back. They are vicious vile people, either we are going to
>survive or them."
>
>And others quote Alex Linder (who is Amalekite) as saying: "DEATH TO THE JEWS."

One thing that puzzles me is that these quotes are not firsthand from
Amalekite, whose own words aren't that much different than what we see
from the slew of nationalist POV warriors blathering all over talk
pages now. So it sounds like we're talking about pre-banning not on the
strength of a person's own statements, but on what other people are
saying about him? Brings to mind a new strategy to get rid of the
editors I don't like - create an external website describing their
evilness, and perhaps fabricating a few statements too.

In general, our mechanism for verifying real-life identities is so
poor that we should be very very reluctant to assume that any given
login corresponds to any real-life person, even if the login makes
such a claim. That's the real core of why I think we should only
consider behavior within Wikipedia - that's all we can really know
for sure about an editor.

Stan