[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 21:12:50 UTC 2005

>From: Haukur Þorgeirsson <haukurth at hi.is>
>
> > This guy has basically admitted
> > on another site that he will put in pro-nazi, anti-jewish POV edits.
>
>No he has not. His theory is that Wikipedia currently has an anti-nazi
>bias and that he will be acting in compliance with the NPOV policy in
>trying to balance some articles.

No, he's quite specifically stated that his theory is that Wikipedia
currently has a "pro-Jewish" bias, because it is run by a Jewish cabal.  His
edits themselves had little value, and he has encouraged people to join
Wikipedia and target certain users based on their ethnicity, and to use
anonymous proxies to edit (which he admits to using himself).  Furthermore,
he has said some pretty vile things about Wikipedians, admittedly on other
boards; but if he had posted a list of Wikipedians who he thought were
"niggers", I wonder if the consensus for banning him would be stronger.
Perhaps the word "kike" doesn't have quite the same taboo quality.  Also,
how many people here would really monitor his edits, and actually spend the
effort trying to figure out if they were really NPOV, aside from those he
has targeted?  Finally, as has been pointed out, his failure to
significantly disrupt Wikipedia was not for lack of trying.

Personally I don't think that Nazis should be banned from Wikipedia simply
for being Nazis/White supremacists.  In fact, there are at least a couple
that I know of who do edit, albeit generally unsuccessfully. As for the
rest, in my experience, the complete inability of most of them to abide by
policy, or even think rationally and present logical arguments, combined
with their typical belligerence, gets them quickly banned anyway.

That said, I think that banning *this particular* user was justified, based
on the issues listed above.

Jay.