[WikiEN-l] Re: Viral marketing?

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 16 13:09:51 UTC 2005

Alphax wrote:
> How much do the combined Wikimedia servers serve?

About 250 Mbps peak:

http://noc.wikimedia.org/trafstats/trafstats-weekly.png

> What would happen if all the Wikimedia sites were redirected to the
> BBC for a day?

The BBC would let out a cheer. We would lose a lot of traffic. That's
not the best way to conduct a DDoS.

Ryan Delaney wrote:
> Block their IP range if
> absolutely necessary, but DDoSing them is insane.

I don't see what good blocking their IP range would do, since the
article in question ([[Jamie Kane]]) was not created from a BBC
netblock. [[Boy*d Upp]] was, but the author has apologized and stated
that he was acting on his own behalf.

Wikipedians regularly spammed the village pump with gmail invites when
that little craze was at its height, so I find it surprising that there
has been such a negative response against viral marketing. Especially
when it wasn't anything of the kind, it was just speculation and rumour.

-- Tim Starling