[WikiEN-l] Viral marketing?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:25:10 UTC 2005

> How much do the combined Wikimedia servers serve? What would happen if
> all the Wikimedia sites were redirected to the BBC for a day?

sod all cheack out their alexa rank

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&y=p&url=www.bbc.co.uk#top

They run along with everthing else a news site. After spet 11 they
have learned. The bad publictly for wikipedia would bite big time.

> They are abusing our site for corporate gain! Surely we have every right
> to block them! They at least owe us an apology for misusing our
> resources like this.

Doubtful. Remember with the exception of a few spin off enterprizes
the BBC is non profit makeing.

> Well, if they want to violate [[WP:POINT]], we can disrupt them back. To
> quote [[meta:Bash]]: You can, however, disrupt Encarta to make a point.
> I don't see why the same shouldn't hold for anyone who corporate
> entities who do the same to us.
>
> Besides, if the BBC has 20,000+ employees on their side, how many more
> users do we have on *our* side? With the powers of Wikipedia and
> Slashdot combined...

Not a significant number since the BCC is one of the planets most
respected news organisations. They are the number 1 site in the uk.
You'd get almost no supporters and I doubt they would even notice any
such "attack".
--
geni