[WikiEN-l] Re: Transwiki wars, precedence, and the fate of user-compiled lists

Alex Regh Alex.Here at gmx.net
Mon Aug 1 22:37:48 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:38:27 -0700, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>I think it would help Admins at en.wikipedia if we knew which of our
>contributors have been blocked from contributing to other Wikimedia
>projects - such as the French or German encyclopedias.
>
>[...] Troublemakers
>should be shown the door - and quickly.

I'd be carefull with that, though - some WPs might block or otherwise
discipline users for things that would not have resulted in such an action on
en:, in fact, I fear that one rather large WP does so regularly. And let's not
even mention all the small ones where we essentially have no clue what is
going on, and little chance of getting one, either.

There is also the problem of knowing that a person is indeed the same user -
since we don't have unified log-in, that is a big problem not even IP checks
can solve.

So while it might be usefull in selected cases to know that and what for a
person was disciplined, in most cases the information will simply be not
available, and might be useless at best and prejudicing people on en: at worst
if we have it.

Alex
--
If you don't go over the top,