[WikiEN-l] Abuse of powers by admins as per usual: Tony Sidaway

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Aug 1 18:31:58 UTC 2005

> We have a situation.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_notic
eboard/Incidents#Existentializer.2C_suspected_sock_of_E> nviroknot

> As far as I can tell, this is pure bullshit. Tony Sidaway has
> taken a cherry-picked list of edits out of a long list, and
> is using them to "prove" a point which cannot be made.
>
> Analysis of Tony Sidaway's "Proof":

[snip]

I don't think this kind of thing is an appropriate topic for the mailing
list. Any user whose account has been improperly blocked can discuss the
block on their talk page. That's what Tim Starling's new feature is
specifically for.

In a parallel vein, if complaints such as this are only arguing about
whether "rules were followed properly" in blocking their account, then
it is doubly off-topic. All such complaints should include a list of
contributions the user plans to make to the encyclopedia.

The idea that Anyone Has A Right To Edit is not true, and has never been
true. Rather, it is,

* "Editing Wikipedia is a privilege, not a right."

We assume good faith, but if an Administrator feels you have violated
policy, the burden falls on you to prove otherwise.

Ed Poor
"Bureaucrat"