[WikiEN-l] Interwiki links for the Icelandic decade articles.

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:14:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:38:23 -0000, James D. Forrester
<james at jdforrester.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 22nd November 2004, at 19:34, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > Similarly, the "twentieth century" begins in 1901 and ends in
> > 2000, unlike the English twentieth century which begins in 1900 and
> > ends in 1999.
>
> Umm. Actually, this is oft a point of confusion; although decades do, indeed
> start in xyz0 and continued until xyz9, centuries, millenia, and longer
> periods of time start from xy01 and continue to x(y+1)00. Hence the
> beginning of this millennium was on the 1st of January 200*1*, although the
> first decade primarily within said millennium had started the year
> beforehand, and the end thereof is to be the 31st of December 3000, not
> 2999.
>
> [Snip]
>
> Yours, confusingly,
> --
> James D. Forrester -- Wikimedia: [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Yep, the 1st of January, 2001 was the beginning of the 21st century!
Hence the amusement of the better educated at the big celebrations on
31st December 1999! Not to mention the fact that it's a tad odd anyway
even to mark the true change of millenium. (A rather arbitrary date,
especially considering the re-jigging of our oft-times dubious Western
calendar system!)

However, are the English Wikipedia articles currently set up according
to the correct system, or the incorrect one?

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...