[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal: make user pages uneditable

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Nov 4 19:35:10 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:
> Do you people not understand how much disgusting (pornographic,
>name-calling) vandalism goes on on User pages?  It's one of the main
>reasons for blocking anons.  The Talk page is for editing.  The User
>page is for a person's philosophy, who they are, what they are.  Why
>do you feel the need to do that?  What's wrong with just editing the
>Talk page and leaving the User page alone?

I think for some people, protecting the user page is a reasonable
choice.  You would likely fit into that category, because you've done
so much work to fight vandals (which is very much appreciated, of
course), that you're now a target from a lot of very dimwitted people.

But there's no reason to do it for everyone, and no reason for people
to do it unless there's a major vandalism problem.

--Jimbo