[WikiEN-l] [[New Haven, Connecticut]]

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Mar 18 17:20:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick wrote:

> [[User:Nunh-huh]] insists on including three pizza places and a restaurant
> on the New Haven page.  I've been trying to delete them but he won't
> let me.  When I suggested that if he's going to list them he should
> add several others, he said that I needed to add them if I thought they
> should be included.  Isn't it POV to list only a very few of the hundreds
> of stores in a city's list?  Isn't this free advertising?

I think so.

It's one thing to have an article about a company, which provides factual
information about said company: it's chief executive officers, what it
makes, why it is of interest. Much like a profile you might find in one
of the Business references like S & P. There's an article about [[Powell's
Books]] here in Portland, which is defensible because it considered a
local landmark; I've been considering writing one on [[Tom Petersen]], a
local electronics retailer, who not noly is a local pop culture icon, but
has cameo roles in a number of Gus Van Sant movies (e.g., he plays the
chief of police in "My Private Idaho").

It's another thing to have a link or entry that does nothing more than
promote the business. I removed an external link to a listing of a local
chain of restaurants for that reason. From your description, Nunh-huh is
doing nothing more than providing free advertising.

Geoff