[WikiEN-l] Re: Mediation board

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 06:52:58 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller a écrit:
> Timwi-
>

>>Please consider rethinking this philosophy, Erik, and consider the
>>possibility that (a) your view of what is "of possible value" may not
>>coincide with everyone else's
>

> Indeed. That's why I apply very low standards in moderation. A thread
> which only contains "deleted", "yesterday", "deleted", yesterday",
> "deleted", "yesterday" certainly falls into a category where, with common
> sense, one can assume that it is a dead discussion that can be removed.
>
> As only administrator of the board at the time, it fell into my
> *responsibility* to do such housekeeping operations. And as it is with
> housekeepers, if you don't want them to throw away something that looks
> like crap, make it not look like crap. Alternatively, keep your own house.
> That is now the solution which we have agreed upon, and it is certainly
> one which I can happily accept.

This is a message Bird posted today on Sannse page, on Wikipedia, not on
a volatil board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:Sannse&curid=172724&diff=0&oldid=0

He wrote

The message you missed on the board was one in which I replied in kind
to your appreciation for my time and thanked you for helping clean up
after the party. [[User:Bird|Bird]] 03:43, 18 Mar 2004 (UTC)

The incentive for spending most of your free time as a mediator is very
very very low. Mediation is a solitary activity. It is not very
rewarding. Few mediations have succeeded till now. No one sees what you
do. Few wikipedians think of thanking you. Even among the disputants
themselves. On top of it, not only do you get little reward for trying
to help bringing a little bit of peace in the committee, but some people
also tell us you are not doing well, that mediation/arbitration is crap,
even refuse to even try because they set up their minds we are wortless,
  and sometimes even some say you did not put enough effort in the
mediation and that with more discussions, it would have succeeded.

There are few things that can help you going on. One of these things is
that a disputant thanks you for the time you spent.  A thank you note is
not "crap". It is something important for the well-being of a mediator.
It is worthwhile, at least for a second, the second you spend reading
the note.

I recognise your hard work Erik, and I recognise your dedication. I
never said you did this deletion ill-meaning, not even that it was an
error, because I know you did so thinking well. But this post was
important, and it was not your to decide it was crap. All we ask is that
housekeeping responsabilities are in the hands of those taking care of
the matter.