[WikiEN-l] Edit war policy meaningless

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Mar 13 16:22:40 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>So, are we going to do something about edit wars or not? What exactly is
>page protection going to accomplish if an individual like Wik will engage
>in an edit war on virtually every page they are involved in? Or per-
>article bans? Are we going to ban Wik from dozens of articles? Run after
>him wherever he goes?

Page protection accomplishes nothing.  In fact, I'd say if anything it
encourages edit wars.

>I note on the arbitration for Wik that the consensus among the committee
>is leaning towards not handling the case of Wik directly because a 24 hour
>ban policy is *under discussion*.  Well, that policy has been sabotaged
>for nonsensical reasons which could easily have been addressed by flexible
>language in the policy itself.

Why don't you propose the flexible language?  It seems to me that
flexible language would make things worse.  Users can already be banned
for clear vandalism.  There's no need for page protection when a user
can be banned instead.

>If people like Wik can engage in edit wars without serious consequences,
>and I on the other hand am attacked for doing what I can to intervene (as
>in the case of [[McFly]], where I protected the page which Wik had blanked
>repeatedly and - gasp - edited it afterwards), then it is clear that the
>Wikipedia community as a whole *wants* edit wars to happen.

Speaking for myself, I don't understand what the problem is with edit
wars in the first place.  The problem isn't the edit wars, the problem
is the lack of discussion.  That's why I, and many others, support the
revert guideline, *as a guideline*, but agree that there are cases where
there simply is nothing to discuss.

Another issue, only tangentially related to edit wars, is what to do
while a dispute is being resolved.  The general feeling is that the page
should be kept in the state it was before the dispute until the dispute
is resolved.  Perhaps this could be made into policy, or at least a
guideline.  But clearly there are situations where this is not an
acceptable solution.  For instance, blatantly incorrect contributions
which didn't get caught for a while, but which is being held on to by a
certain person or group of people.  These are complicated issues, and
just saying "don't revert, or we'll ban you" is much too simple of a
proposed solution.

Anthony