[WikiEN-l] Re: 3-revert rule: technical fix?

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Mar 9 17:31:27 UTC 2004

Is it feasible/reasonable to ask for the mediawiki software, not to enforce, but to _notify_ the editor when the 3-revert rule is being broken?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of what the old newsreader software used to do when you posted something for world distribution and it gave you that warning message about your action "costing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars" to the Net.

No action, no enforcement, no locking out... just a little notice saying "this is the sixth revert you've made on this article today. Usually we try not to do more than three."

(Similarly, I've often wished that the express lines in supermarkets had a nice big electric sign that would display the item count. If the person buying sixteen items in the "twelve items or fewer" lane saw that the count was sixteen and knew that the checker and the people behind him could see that the count was sixteen, nothing would need to be said).