[WikiEN-l] The 3-revert rule

KNOTT, T tknott at qcl.org.uk
Tue Mar 9 14:08:28 UTC 2004

The situation as I see it is - If we have guilines with no means of punishing people who willfully break them then there is no incentive for them not to break them and edit wars will still happen. OTOH if admins have the power to ban people there may be situations where admins apply the rule more forcefully then they should. Sometimes people can be very rigid when applying rules. Also I can see a situation where admins are chastised by non admin users for not banning someone who broke the rule. I don't want a situation where wik for example says I am in the wrong for not banning Anthony etc.

I think the best way to go, is to produce guidelines for admins as to what to do when they see a rule broken. Such as - "If you think it was a newbie error -inform the newbie and wait 1 week to see if they take any notice" or "if its 4-6 reverts and the user has not had an edit war on any other articles, protect the page, and warn the user to stop."

That sort of thing.

Theresa